1. Track time for at least 2 weeks
- This is because you might have a bad week, and you want to have an average week
- Also, when you start out you tend be extra cautious, which does not reflect your real lifestyle
- Ofcourse you do not want to be considered weird, so do it discretely: By sending yourself a text message, or jotting down on your notepad (if you are in meeting)
- Each person has different attention span. Some people can focus on one thing for 15 mins, some only for 2 mins. Track accordingly
- Summarize in terms of "What" you are doing: (talking, dancing, reading) , "Why" you are doing (gossiping, hobby, research)
- Apart from the above columns, also track the names of people involved (spouse, neighbor), and location(house, office).
- The people and location columns are really vital to know who takes up most of your time.
- Be as specific as you can of what you are doing
4. At end of 2 weeks, add up and calculate the percentage of hours you spent on things that matter
- This will tell you where and how you spend majority of your time
- It might also give more insight into what you like doing most
- If you focus time was only 5 mins, try to increase your focus time from 5 minute intervals to 15 minutes
- Also try to reduce time waster by atleast 50%, and replace them with good habits: Example if you spend daily 4 hrs on tv, see if you can replace that with exercise and meditation
- Repeat this till you are satisfied how you spend your time
DO NOT LET TIME SLIP AWAY. SAVE AND ENJOY TIME !!